Our story

Our Story

Trust Milestones - The First 20 years

1962

The Lancashire Naturalists' Trust was established on 1st August

1963

South Walney Island, Cumbria

Peter Cairns

 Acquired South Walney Island nature reserve.

(The site was transferred to the new Cumbria Wildlife Trust in 1974 as a result of local government boundary changes)

1965

 The Trust reaches 90 members

1967

Annual turnover £217

1970

North West Biological Field Data Bank started.

The Trust has 366 members

1973

Administrative Officer appointed

1974

'Lapwing' magazine launched

1978

First local group started in Southport

1979

Ted Jackson

Ted Jackson becomes Chairman

Over 1600 members

1980

First part of Mere Sands Wood handed to Trust

David Bellamy pays his first visit to the Trust

New name - Lancashire Trust for Nature Conservation

1982

 Rest of Mere Sands Wood acquired

Astley Moss Reserve 21 year lease

12 Trust Nature Reserves

Trust Milestones: The Last 30 Years

1984

Cuerden Head Office established
Warton Crag reserve brought into management
Seaforth reserve licence agreed

1985

David Attenborough

Red Scar reserve purchased
Visit of Sir David Attenborough on 6th November

1986

Astley Moss

A Conservation Officer and an Urban Wildlife Officer are appointed.
Astley Moss reserve purchased.
The trust reaches 2000 members.

1988

Bolton Wildlife Project started

1991

Visit by HRH The Prince of Wales, June 7th

1992

Trust appointed manager of Cuerden Valley Park
New Name - Lancashire Wildlife Trust
Biological Heritage Site Project started in Lancashire

1993

Mere Sands wood

New visitor centre at Mere Sands Wood.

1994 

Children at Former Education Centre in Penwortham

Penwortham Education Centre started.

1995

Red Moss, Horwich saved from development

1996

Seaforth Visitor Centre opened
More than 260 owners and managers of BHS contracted

1999

Trust designated National Qualification Training Centre

2000

Mere Sands Wood and Salthill Quarry win an English Nature Award.

2001

Biodiversity Action Plans (BAPS) for Lancashire and north Merseyside published
34 Nature Reserves
Over 1000 Watch Club Members
Turnover 2001-2002 £1.5 million

2002

New HQ started with Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £1.7m
8000 Trust members

2003 

New HQ opened in October by David Bellamy

2005 

Construction of Bolton Environment Resource Centre began

2006 

Trusts HQ (The Barn) was granted award-winning Eco-Centre status by ENCAMS
Purchase of Brockholes

2007

Bill Oddie and Kate Humble at Mere Sands Wood for Autumn Watch

Bolton Environment Resource Centre Opens.
Kate Humble and Bill Oddie visit Mere Sands Wood to film Autumn Watch

2008 

Adam Khan Architects are announced as the winners of the Brockholes RIBA design competition

2009 

Work begins at Brockholes

2011

Brockholes Ariel View

Brockholes opens on Easter Sunday.

2017

Prince Harry visited Brockholes Nature Reserve to meet young people working on the MySpace project.

Click here to read all about Prince Harry's visit