About the St Michael's eco church
St Michael’s Church, Great Lever, was consecrated on 29 September 1851. Now in it’s 170th year, it is a Grade II-listed building and part of the Seven Saints Team. It originally opened due to the influx of people moving to the area to work in the local mills after the industrial revolution and was designed by the architects Dixon and Brakespeare. The church stands in four acres of churchyard and originally cost £2,116 to build. In 1961, St Michael’s joined with St Bartholomew’s to form one church. An elegant building, the interior has not changed too much although gifts of lanterns, a font and beautiful stained glass windows have been made over the years.
The aim of the Churchyard Conservation Project is for local people to enjoy St Michael’s - a country church in a town. It offers a small oasis for the soul. where the local community can appreciate the natural world, wildlife and tranquility as well as the beautiful architecture of the church. The Churchyard Conservation Project also aims to:
- Increase awareness of the natural and built environment in the churchyard via an interactive Conservation Project noticeboard.
- Provide opportunities to connect with the natural world, for example through bat surveys and ground maintenance to create a quiet space for reflection.
St Michael’s is registered as an Eco Church with A Rocha to be a champion for reducing carbon emissions, reducing waste and caring for the environment.